Thursday, February 27, 2020

problems and solving

First, material. Deciding on materials for the lenticular prints is just a matter of deciding which set of problems I want to solve. 

Paper:
+ Cheap
+ Text is easier to work with
-  Flimsy
-  Can quickly look messy
-  Takes a while to design + fold

Problems: making sure printer ink doesn't smudge between folds, finding a faster way to lay out text?, finding the right weight of paper to prevent cockling or sagging, making folds as precise as possible

Styrene:
+ Very neat
+ Sturdy
+ Less design time (because I don't have to cut the words digitally first)
-  More expensive
-  Takes a while to put together
-  How do I attach text?

Problems: attaching text is really the only big one, but it is a big one

I've ordered some 100T paper, it should come in tomorrow so I'll be able to do some experiments and see how a heavier weight works. I'm hoping to have a Final Decision this weekend, or at least by Tuesday.



Second, content. For the "fast text" I'm going to stick with words that all refer to the same thing. I've got all my epithet notes from the first semester, so I'll start there. I know I can't commit to rereading the whole Odyssey - it's a marathon, and I'm in sprint mode - so I'll choose a few chapters and take the epithets from those. Here's a link to the spreadsheet I made a while back, so you can see what I'm starting with. I'll be using the Wilson translation mainly, but if I feel like I'm running low or need some style variety I'll dip into the other approximately 23984 versions I have access to.

For the lenticulars, it's another either-or situation - contradictions or translations.

Contradictions:
-  man/hero
-  tales/lies
-  bravery/hubris
-  wife/widow
The print itself will say two things at the same time. It's more about the combination/interaction between the two words than about the words themselves. 

Translations:
-  winedark/blue
-  golden throne/sunrise
-  polytropos/complicated, skilled, resourceful, etc
-  servant/slave
-  owl-eyed/far-seeing
Not really Translations as such (except for polytropos), but clarifcations or recontextualizations. This time it's more about the individual words than the interaction, and the process of revealing that happens as they're viewed. 

I'm hoping for feedback on these two concepts. I like both of them, I think both of them work well with the fast text content. It's hard to choose. I could do both, but it's not just the words that change between each option - it's also the way you look at the words. I think I'd compromise an amount of clarity or understanding if I did both.

So that's where I am today. Once I get the paper, I'll do a test and see how it holds up. Any votes on contradictions vs. translations would be helpful in the comments if anyone is so inclined. Danke!

2 comments:

  1. slave / hero
    blue / man
    owl-eyed / widow
    complicated / wife
    sunrise / hubris
    golden throne / lies
    far-seeing / servant
    polytropos / lies
    winedark / bravery

    ReplyDelete