Monday, February 24, 2020

Photos of Adam's fingers this weekend with his nails painted. He also chose a Purple, just a darker one.

















Also, A few quotes from an hour long interview I had with Adam

"When I was a kid I remember my parents asking me 'Adam what's your favorite color?' and I would answer 'Purple' and they would say 'it can't be purple, that's a girls color'"

"I teach kids at a gymnastics place, ages 5-15, and every once in a while a boy will come in with his nails painted or with pink clothes on and of course some ass hole will make some sort of comment and I have to end up putting them in their place as the instructor....And it's unfortunate because you know that's learned. These kids bring what they learned from their parents to my classes and ruin it for everyone else who hasn't been taught that against their will."

"This is all learned behavior, gender rolls and stereotypes all come from a place of being taught. None of these kids would think these things on their own, they might not do what their friends and peers do but they wouldn't care or comment on what their friends and peers do in such a specific way without that behavior being taught to them by someone." 

"To me, none of this effects me anymore. I spent too long letting it bother me, letting other people tell me what I can and can't do because I'm a 'man' and this is what 'men' do. Now I just do whatever the fuck I want and it doesn't matter."

"My peak happiness would be, and I know this makes me sound like such a hippie, but my peak happiness is me, on a warm sunny day; sitting in a kayak in the middle of a lake. Lime soda in my hands, just blaring Jimmy Buffett."

"There are things that are stereotypically male jobs that I think everyone should be able to do just because. Like, I think everyone should be able to build stuff and work with their hands, man woman or whatever, just for the sake of the fact that it will just make your life so much easier if you can do it for yourself."

"You can't fit what it is to be a man in one definition. It is undefinable because it is so unique to each person."

No comments:

Post a Comment