Saturday, February 15, 2020

lenticular, finally



So: Lenticular printing. I'm really into it. I'm also really into the "fast text" I did the other week. The lenticulars are great for the revealing/obfuscating nature of translation, plus they're kinda cool as hell. I'm still doing research on manufactured lenticular printing, and I'll get into contact with Richard Cutrona to see what he has to say about his process. Honestly, I almost prefer the accordion style I'm using, I think it's an interesting visual. 

To get a more polished finished product, I'm thinking styrene assembled into a stable matrix that I can then attach the words to. Styrene comes in tons of shapes, and I know they have angled pieces like these that would work. The words might be vinyl decals? Or just cut paper. Either way I'll be using the Fab Lab's wonderful services in the next weeks. 


This is a vague sketch of how I'm imagining the fast text and lenticular text to be on the wall. They'll intersect and interact with each other in a grid pattern. 

Choosing what words to use is a challenge. I'm between polytropos + its translations or contradictions. If I do multiple, I feel like there should be ways to distinguish them, like color or text weight. 

I'd also like to make accordion books of the fast text chains - I like accordion books because they can be looked at page-by-page or as one panorama. With large, overlapping text, you can try to stretch the whole thing out and look for the words, or look at each page as a composition as itself.

So this weekend: get a few prints out of the fast text, get them on the wall. A few lenticulars too, to play with how they work together. 

This week: order materials, make a test accordion book, make a final decision on word combinations. 

My computer's autocorrect keeps suggesting "testicular" instead of "lenticular" so that's fun

2 comments:

  1. was thinking lenticular clouds (they're a thing), but, omg

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what about crepuscular?
    (mid 17th century: from Latin crepusculum ‘twilight’ + -ar)

    ReplyDelete