Monday, March 23, 2020

book construction























So over the past couple of weeks, I've been working on the construction of 3 different books that all categorize the work I've been doing. This is the one that has all of my face content in it. I have been pairing the language from Wild Mind and Face Politics with my images. these quotes are directly from the notes I took, these were quotes that seemed to stick out to me the most while I was reading. I am going to upload a PDF version to the drive and will share it with everyone. These are just some screenshots of a few spreads.


also, what do you all think of the typeface? I liked the idea of using one that wasn't just a regular sans serif and to me, this typeface brings kind of an eerie feeling to the book.

3 comments:

  1. similar to the way we've talked sometimes about Nicole's work, maybe think not so much in terms of "spreads," but in the succession of pages (and spreads), the "reveal" that comes with turning a page... pauses, rhythms, repetitions... variations of same image (e.g., inverted, b&w...)... think of the book as a musical composition... poetry, not documentary prose.

    the monospaced typeface is ok. quite neutral. I don't get an eerie feeling from it.
    does every page need to have an image? (it reads more like a catalogue (and thus, closer to what I imagine your process book would be, supported by explanatory texts, extracts, etc etc) than it does "a book".

    initial thoughts, these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s., I see you've done some of the variations (inverted etc)...
    a book of variations, from one image... or at least a chapter that does that... so there's progression, prompts for thinking... pauses (empty pages, maybe with text... and the text itself, could be huge on page, 36, 48pt...

    the (my) point being, a slower progression, rather than jumpy catalogue of separate things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally (?)... wonder if spreads are working... unless it is your intention to show one face against another... but that it doesn't come across that way. might be better, one face per spread, blank page at left, maybe with some text?
    slow the progression... let the image and words reverberate for a moment, before reader turns page...

    ReplyDelete