Wednesday, April 8, 2020

the next book

I didn't have time today to get too far into the design of the next book but it's gonna be on the oinopa ponton aka "wine-face sea" aka wine-dark sea because that... makes sense as a translation?

The other two books came easily as their contents were things I've been thinking in-depth about for a few months now. This one will need some research on:
  1. the history of the phrase "wine-dark" - who used it first, and can I find out why?
  2. where else is it used? JK I already know this, it's used one other time to refer to the color of a couple of oxen. There might be some interesting symbolism in there?
  3. theories of color and language - there's one theory that outlines how words for color develop, and in what order, but there's controversy that I'm going to look into
  4. who deviates? What do they deviate to? So far it's just Chapman who says "darke" instead of "wine-dark", but that could be for simple meter reasons as that version is in Iambic pentameter
Here's some sources I'm starting with:

So that's my agenda for the beginning of the weekend. I'm making this sound a lot more complex and labor-intensive than it actually will be, but overcomplicating everything is one of my greatest skills. It's on my résumé.

1 comment:

  1. wine-dark sea, blood-spilled sea.
    thinking of Florida, in these quasi end-times, threatened from three sides by rising seas, and at the fourth by refugee/retirement hordes from the North...

    moved by the dense yet leisurely (even poetic) opening of this paper.

    ReplyDelete